CSISD Intermediate School Student Dress Code Policy
The dress code for grades 5 & 6 is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards. Students are encouraged to be well groomed and neat in their appearance. Clothing should cover the body and should fit in a manner as to promote the modesty of individuals and shall be in reasonable conformity with contemporary community standards for the age group involved. School Board policy prohibits any clothing that, in the principal’s judgment, may reasonably be expected to cause disruption of or interference with normal school operations. (Board Policy FNCA)
- The dress code for Grades 5 & 6 shall be, but is not limited to the following:
- No spaghetti straps or racerback shirts
- No backless dresses or tops
- No sagging pants. Pants must fit at the waist.
- No clothing that exposes the mid-section of the body (midriff or underwear)
- No clothing with distracting holes or tears will be permitted. Additionally, any tears or holes
- in clothing may not be higher than three (3) inches above the knee.
- No sheer or see-through clothing, unless the clothing underneath is within dress code
- No low-cut clothing
- Undergarments may not be visible at any time.
- Inappropriate shorts may not be worn to school. These include, but are not limited to: tights,
- boxer shorts, wind shorts, short shorts, cut-offs, and bicycle shorts. The length of the shorts
- must extend so that hemlines are no more than three (3) inches above the knee. The length of the shorts must be measured from the top of the slit in the shorts.
- The length of skirts must extend so that the hemlines are no more than three (3) inches above the knee. The length of the skirts must be measured from the top of any slit. If a student wears leggings, tights, or “jeggings”, he or she must also wear clothing over them which meets the three (3) inch above the knee requirement for length.
- Shoes should be worn at all times. No house shoes, showers shoes, or slippers.
- Clothing shall NOT be work which displays:
- Offensive, obscene, vulgar, or suggestive pictures or slogans
- Pictures, symbols, or slogans associated with gang activity, or subversive groups or
- activities which incite violence or are deemed inappropriate for a school setting
- Pictures of advertisement for alcohol, drugs, or tobacco products including but not
- limited to beer, wine, liquor slogans, or registered trademarks of such companies
- Hats, bandanas, stocking caps, caps, visors, headbands, and non-prescription
- sunglasses shall not be worn inside the building
- Hairstyles should be simple, clean, and arranged not to cover the eyes or interfere
- with vision. Hairnets, picks, combs, or rollers/curlers are not allowed
- Pocket chains of any type and spiked jewelry shall not be worn at school
- Dress standards and grooming other than those outlined in this code may be
- requested, expected, and regulated by a teacher, sponsor, coach, and/or principal,
- dependent upon the activity
Dress code violations will be determined at the campus level. Consequences for dress code violations are also
determined at the individual campus. If the principal determines that a student is in violation of the dress code
or that instruction is being disrupted because of a student’s dress, disciplinary action will be taken. Repeated
offenses may result in more serious disciplinary actions.